Welcome to the District of Columbia Commissioned Officers Association
- Free ROA event March 5, 2014! Click link for registration information. Modernizing Healthcare:Private Sector, DoD and VA Innovations in Action
- Call for volunteers to serve as Judges in Regional Science Fairs
It is that time of year again. The District of Columbia (D.C.) Branch of the Commissioned Officers Association (COA) needs commissioned officers from all categories to serve as Science Fair Judges and award presenters at approximately 11 D.C., Maryland, and Virginia Regional high school science fairs in March. This activity involves judging and presenting the "Best of Category - Medicine and Health Award" to the best project(s) and the Surgeon General Award Certificate recognizing project(s) that illustrate and focus on promoting healthy lifestyles at each science fair.
This is a great opportunity to meet some of the brightest students in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia and encouraging the scientists and engineers of tomorrow. Officers will also have an opportunity to network with fellow officers. Officers interested in serving as a Science Fair Judge for any of the Regional science fairs should click on the link below to complete the registration form.
Officers are asked to wear the Service Dress Blue uniform.
For more information on the registration process, please contact:
CDR Tarsha Cavanaugh at Tcavanaugh@hrsa.gov or
LCDR Katherine Won at Katherine.Won@fda.hhs.gov
- NEW Photos from 2013 Marine Corps Marathon are now on Phanfare. http://usphs.phanfare.com/6296168 (Site blocked by FDA firewall.)
- Career Development and Education Committee: Curriculum Vitae and Officer’s Statement - Tips and Telling Your Story. Presented by CAPT Jason Woo and CDR Dan Brum on September 5, 2013 (Slides)
Click link for Adobe Connect recording https://collaboration.fda.gov/p5r0fvyotjk/
- Career Development and Education Committee: Personal Mastery/Getting What You Want (CAPT Jason Woo 4/29/2013)
Powerpoint and Additional reading
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! Prevention Through Active Community Engagement (PACE) Program Click here for more info.
- Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Click here for more info.
- Department of Veterans Affairs Post-9/11 GI Bill Title 38 U.S.C. Chapter 33 (PDF)
- Navy Mutual
Click here for more info.
- To members of the D.C. Metropolitan Area Branch,
This Smart Brief is a journal style email message intended to help keep you informed about various uniformed service benefits available to PHS officers. Please note that some offers may only apply to Armed Forces members; however, these Smart Briefs will help promote awareness and push toward including the common language of “Uniformed Services” in more legislation and benefits packages.
Click here for the current posting (or recent briefs), please forward any questions or comments to CDR Robert Windom at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also welcome any hot topics or special discounts that you wish to share with your fellow officers.
DC COA is on Facebook.
Sign up for Facebook to connect with DC COA.
The mission of the Commissioned Officers Association of the U.S. Public Health Service is to improve and protect the public health of the United States by advocating for the Commissioned Corps and its officers.
The District of Columbia Metropolitan Area Commissioned Officers Association objectives for 2012-2013:
1. Provide education, networking, and recreation opportunities for members in the DC metropolitan area.
2. Provide opportunities for members to develop leadership skills.
3. Increase membership and involvement of branch members in activities.
4. Seek out new opportunities to promote the Commissioned Corps, COA, or the DC COA branch by partnering with other local branches or other Uniformed Services.
5. Continue as a model branch for all local branches of COA.
LCDR Tina Walther, USPHS